Convergence

Web 2.0 and the Future of Pervasive Computing

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I'm back!

Sorry for the lack of communication fan-boys, but I have been away in Ireland for a wedding. Congrats to Barry and Rebecca and many thanks for arranging such a wonderful experience.

During my travels, I had a fantastic time meeting new friends and motoring across the country with my lovely girlfriend and our handy Let's Go guide. Although I must admit that I almost bit it pretty hard while attempting to drive on the left side of the road. I am the worst. As an aside, apparently the reason that many countries in Europe drive on the left side of the road is that:
In the past, almost everybody traveled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him. Moreover, it reduced the chance of the scabbard (worn on the left) hitting other people.

Furthermore, a right-handed person finds it easier to mount a horse from the left side of the horse, and it would be very difficult to do otherwise if wearing a sword (which would be worn on the left). It is safer to mount and dismount towards the side of the road, rather than in the middle of traffic, so if one mounts on the left, then the horse should be ridden on the left side of the road.

What a strange world we live in. I am sure that many historical vestiges like these have also made their way into many of the standards and applications that are popular online today. My guess is that most things on the Internet have nothing to do with swords, however. Seriously though, does anyone know of any good examples of weird/cool/interesting historical/policitical stuff that has influenced the web we know and love today? Weird trivia geeks this is your chance!

Anyway, I should be posting to Convergence regularly again for your reading enjoyment. Just bear with me as I come up for air. I actually had to hit the ground running when I got back as I am knee-deep in a massive undertaking with the rest of the Clearspring crew. More on that sneaky mission soon kids. Hope all is well. Back to work for this web-slinger.

technorati tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home